The Holy Qur’an is the Book from which a Muslim obtains wisdom, guidance, faith, strength, morals, ethics, laws and inspiration. The Qur’an is the word of Allah( swt), written in pure Arabic, to make things clear for people of all nations, races, tribes, and genders.
The Qur’an comprehends the complete code for Muslims to live a good, pure, and rewarding life in obedience with the orders of Allah, in this life and to gain salvation in the next. The Qur’an is the “map of life” for every human being. Qur’an is the “foundation” of the Kingdom of Heaven on Earth. Its revelation to the Holy Prophet (Muhammad pbuh) is nothing short of a miracle produced by Allah, revealed in stages and gradually to strengthen the heart.
The importance of studying the Qur’an can only be fully understood through recognition of the major role they play in a Muslim’s life. If Holy Qur’an is being read, memorized and understood most of the hardships in this life and hereafter are succeed easily. The Qur’an is the prescribed text for every Muslim and it is essential that every Muslim read, understand, and implement the commands contained in the Qur’an.
The Qur’an is complete is the primary source for all Muslims in every area as being the first source of Islam.
The aim of the learning area of Studies of the Qur’an is to enable learners to:
- Read the Qur’an with beautiful voice, and read the Qur’anic text fluently.
- Memorise prescribed surahs of the Qur’an with the tajweed rule.
- Comprehend the meaning of the prescribed surahs of the Qur’an.
- Understand the circumstances under which verses of the Qur’an were revealed and how the Prophet put the verses to practice.
- Learners in this key learning area are encouraged to apply their skills and knowledge in:
- Seeking the pleasure of Allah through recitation of the Qur’an in a way that will strengthen the Faith of the people;
- Understanding, interpreting, translating and explaining literature in the pure and original Arabic form;
- Bringing satisfaction, self-respect and a sense of achievement to and raising the confidence level of the Muslim community;
- Developing strategies for expanding their knowledge and skills in the language and for managing their own language learning.
The Studies of The Qur’an Key Learning Area is structured into Four Major Strands Incorporating Both Content and Process.
- Fluent Reading with proper pronunciation (Makhraj)
- Memorisation (Memorise the verses of the Qur’an correctly.)
- Understanding General meaning of the prescribed verses and surahs.
At this stage learners should have developed the skill of reading the Qur’an independently along with rules of tajweed. Emphasis in this strand is placed on the comprehension of the verses and chapters the students read. Students will know how to recite the Holy Qur’an fluently by emphasising the pronunciation of the letters (makharij) correctly.
Memorising chapters from the Qur’an in Arabic is necessary in order to meet the requirements of the five compulsory daily prayers; commit to memory certain chapters of the Qur’an and mature a love and interest for memorising more Qur’an as they grow up.
The aim of the strand is to help develop learners to become confident and independent readers of the Holy Qur’an whilst observing the rules of tajweed. They should be able explain the rules and read any part of the Qur’an with tajweed.
Understanding General meaning of the prescribed verses and surahs
Students will learn the meaning and translation(Tafseer) of the prescribed verses or surahs and their stage of revelation with their theme. Understand how the Qur’an was revealed to the Holy Prophet Muhammad (saw).